The Broadmarsh Nottingham is part of the gateway to the city
A project exploring the Broadmarsh and surrounding area. The key part of the project is the relationship between Hanson House No 1 Collin Street (pictured) and the Broadmarsh - all due to be demolished and developed into a massive retail space. Hanson House was built by George Pett in 1914. The family lived in Lady Bay and eventually sold Hanson House in 1962.
Island of Buildings is an ongoing response to buildings and the future of the Broadmarsh - buildings some ruined, some inhabited. Its boundaries and geographical contours, together with its transitory population in this visual arts project are both real and imaginary.
It might seem we have little control over what happens in our cities and the places we live and are rooted. Recording and creating a visual narrative is a means of challenging the ultimate destruction of our memory of a place